3 June 2014

Moving on

The last 48 hours have been a flurry of activity getting my house ready for photographs to be taken. A  slow and tedious divorce means the house has to be sold. I offered to walk away from money and pensions so the kids and I could stay here, as I think that would have been best for the boys, but sadly the ex had no desire to try and retain any stability for his kids with their home, even after all they have been through over the last couple of years. Still; I know a loving home can be created anywhere. It's not specific to just one set of bricks and mortar. Where one door closes...

So there has been cleaning, and painting, and tidying, and to be honest, the house hasn't looked so great for years. All the jobs that couldn't be done because they wouldn't be paid for, are getting done out of necessity. I have been wielding the paintbrush because ex refused to split the cost for a coat of paint before sale, but I have done house projects since the age of 25 so this is nothing new for me. yesterday the window cleaner came, and today the photographer.


So while the Estate agent photographer worked with his wide angle lens that seemed to make all my rooms look three times their actual size, and whizzed round and took a few more arty snaps of my own.


Today the mantel piece is sporting three bits of Hensteeth textile art, a Claire Hillerby collage, an Abigail Brown bird, a piece of Julie Whitmore pottery, some boot sale finds, and some teeny cotton voile bunting I made.


A perfect spot to grab five minutes with a magazine.

The children's rooms have been tidied and edited. 
(They won't look like this for long!)


Small boy's room...



...and big boy's room


I have jet washed the deck, the grass has been cut.


The dining table has been spruced with flowers for viewings to start.


And I grouped and hung some of my favourite pictures that the kids have done over the kitchen sofa.



The other wall has my favourite clock on it...


(But the number of times it cuckoos compared to how many times the little cuckoo pops out seem to have gone wrong since I reset the time. Ooops.)


..and of course there is my perfect Alex Snowdon artwork, that was designed just for me and the boys. It is actually a perfect pale blue, my photo is not doing it justice.


My bedroom is decorated with angel's wings, and some car boot sale teacups that cost me £1 for the lot.


And now the spare room has been cleared of eight years of hoarded junk, and the ex's belongings that he has refused to take for the year and a half that he hasn't lived here, my Grandma's old dressing table looks just perfect, and the beautiful cream stocks, make the room smell lovely.

Once more, I can hold my head high that I have done all this work, and made this place look great. I have negotiated with estate agents, and am house hunting, while running my little business, and looking after the boys (who will always be my number one priority). Thank goodness my family breeds strong, invincible women, who are not afraid to work hard, and know how to do the right thing!

20 comments:

  1. I do hope it all goes well for you, having been through turmoil myself in the past, I know what hell it can be and I had to find inner strength and fight for things which I never thought I would have to. My good wishes are with you all the way! Your house is gorgeous by the way and I adore your Grandmothers dressing table, what a treasure. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy. Amazing how the inner strength seems (almost) never ending. There is always something to deal with, and somehow I always manage it.

      Delete
  2. All the best to you and your boys for a happy future in a new home x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you all the luck in the world. My eldest daughter went through the very same thing a couple of years ago. She also has two boys. older than yours She bought her own house for the three of them, has made it beautiful and has never been as happy. You will be absolutely fine as will your boys, although no doubt, as with my grandsons, they will lose all respect for their father. They still love him but respect went out the windows a while ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The boys and I are a strong unit, and I am lucky to have great love and support from my wonderful parents too. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have made your house the most inviting place for someone to visualise as their future home. Throughout the recent trials and tribulations you have managed to stayed strong and focused. May your new house be a perfect home for you and the boys; May your business blossom further and bear an abundance of fruit. Phiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phiona. It never ceases to amaze me the strength it is possible to find. :-)

      Delete
  6. Women are strong. You are proving it. And your home is just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tis true. We women folk are made of strong stuff. We just have to be. The world would fall apart if we weren't.

      Delete
  7. Alexandra Snowdon4 June 2014 at 11:07

    Good luck to you Charlotte, you've done a great job, hope you and your boys get the happy ending you truly deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Alex. Tediously long wait for the end of all this rubbish, but we'll get there, and life will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your house looks beautiful! What paint colour did you use in your living room? It's the exact shade of grey I've been looking for. Good luck with the house sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a cream with a slight greyish tone. Crown Antique Cream.

      Delete
  10. I've only just discovered your blog. Hope you find a lovely house to make into a home for you and your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely house. You're hard work is an inspiration! I'm wondering what colour is used on the walls in the living room. It looks fab with the wood floors. It must be hard to move on but there'll be an even more beautiful home awaiting you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's Crown Antique Cream. It has a greyish tone. Not too yellow or pink! Timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog and I wanted to tell you how beautiful you are! You've made your home a thing of beauty (I'm sure it sold quickly), but it's the beauty in your heart that did all the creating. What a rare accomplishment during times of stress! Our hearts usually go into hiding. I pray you and your children are blessed and filled with joy no matter where you live. I pray you and your children always have a wonderful vision for/of the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found your blog while looking for fireplaces. Your home is absolutely beautiful and you are an inspiration. Don't forget you can take those great design ideas anywhere so your next home will no doubt be beautiful. May I sk is your fire solid fuel or gas? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342

    ReplyDelete